Invited Lectures, Panels & Seminars
- Invited Speaker: Memorial Session Celebrating the Contribution of Roland Robertson, Association for Sociology of Religion annual meeting, August 8, 2022 (online presentation). Available online at youtube.com.
- Invited Speaker: "How to think about globalization in the 21st century?", Global Research Institute Paris (GRIP), April 1, 2022 (online presentation).
- Invited Speaker (plenary presentation): "Globalization in the 21st century: The past career and future possible trajectories of the concept", at the International Multidisciplinary Conference on "Transformations and Challenges in the Global World", South-West University Neofit Rilski, Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria, Oct. 15-17, 2020.
- Invited Speaker: "How Globalization explains the formation of Christianity's branches and why it matters", Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany June 27, 2018.
- Invited Speaker (plenary presentation): "What is Glocalization? Six interpretations", Center for Glocal Studies, Seijo University, Tokyo Japan, December 9 2017.
- Invited Speaker (plenary presentation): "Orthodox Christianity in the long duree", Workshop on Monastic Economy I, Center for Advanced Studies, Sofia, Bulgaria, November 2017.
- Erasmus visiting professor (multiple lectures): Department of Sociology, University of Padua, Padova, Italy May 8 – 12, 2016.
- Invited Lecture: "The Glocal and Global Studies", Catholic University of Milan, Milan, Italy, May 18, 2015.
- Erasmus visiting professor (multiple lectures), Università degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy, May 18-22, 2015.
- Invited participant: international conference "Bridging the Balkans", Centre for Hellenic Studies at King's College, May 15-17, 2013, London, UK.
- Invited participant: international conference on "Multiple Belongings and the Transnationalism of Catholicism: Diversity, Unity and Process of Formation", organized by DePaul University's Center for World Catholicism and Intercultural Theology, April 15-17, 2013, Chicago, IL.
- Invited participant: the Irish School of Ecumenics' (University College Dublin) European Graduate Intensive Program in Intercultural Theology and Interreligious Studies "Translating God(s): Fluid Religion and Orthodoxy", Ovidius University of Constantza, Romania, 2012, Sept. 12-19.
- Invited participant: Author-Meets-Critics panel for R. Holton's Global Finance (London: Routledge, 2012), Global Studies Association annual meetings, July 5-8 2012, Manchester, UK.
- Invited participant:, International Workshop II on Nation, State and Religion in the Mediterranean: From 1789 to 1960 (Van Leer Jerusalem Institute, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel, July 19-22, 2009) & Workshop III on Nation, State and Religion in the Mediterranean: From 1789 to 1960 (University of Granada, Spain, May 9-12, 2010).
- Invited participant: International Workshop Religions on Cyprus: Historical Arguments and Political Problems, University of Erfurt, October 10-13, 2007.
- Invited Lecture: "Transnationalism and Cosmopolitanism", Department of Geography, Miami University, February 7, 2003.
- Invited Lecture: "Transnational Hellenism & the Greek – American Community", Program in Modern Greek Studies, Department of Greek & Latin, Ohio State University, January 8, 2002.
- Invited Lecture: "Competing National Identities in Macedonia: Before and After the Kosovo Crisis", Russian and East European Studies Seminar, Center for International Studies, University of Pittsburgh, November 30, 1999.
- Invited Lecture: "The 'Invention of Tradition' in the 19th Century Balkans", Seminar on the Modern Greek State, Center for Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, CUNY-Queens College, March 26, 1997.
- Invited Lecture: "The 'Clash of Civilizations' in Southeastern Europe and the Status of the 'Balkans' in the 'New World Order'", Program in Hellenic Studies, Joseph Henry House, Princeton University, March 7, 1997.
- Participant: Book launch panel for Evgenia Roussou, Orthodox Christianity, New Age Spirituality and Vernacular Religion: The Evil Eye in Greece (London: Bloomsbury, 2020), March 16, 2022 (online presentation).
- Panel for Glocalization: A critical introduction, World Congress of the International Sociological Association, Toronto, Canada, July 15-21, RC09. (2018)
- Mid-day special session on Glocalization: A critical introduction, European Sociological Association biannual meetings, Athens, Aug. 30-Sept. 2. (2017)
- Panel for Globalization and Orthodox Christianity, held at the biannual congress of the International Society for Sociology of Religion, Louvain, Belgium. (2015)
- Panel for Globalization and Orthodox Christianity, held at the annual meetings of the Global Studies Association, York St. John University, UK, June 26-28. (2014)
- Panel for Orthodox Christianity in 21st Century Greece, held at the biannual meetings of the International Society for Sociology of Religion, Aux-de-Provence, France, June 30-July 3. (2011)
- Panel for Eastern Orthodoxy in a Global Age, held at the annual meetings of the Association for the Sociology of Religion, Philadelphia, PA, August .(2005)
- Panel for Nationalism, Globalization and Orthodoxy, held at the Eastern Sociological Society's Annual Meetings, Philadelphia, PA. (2003)
Lectures, Seminars & Presentations at the University of Cyprus:
(2013) Lecture: "1974 as Cultural Trauma", (jointly with Miranda Christou) Open University lecture series, Limassol, January 28 & Larnaca, February 13 (in Greek).
(2010) Presentation: "The Sociology of Religion in the Greek-Orthodox world: A Brief Overview & Prospects in Greece & Cyprus", Department of Social and Political Sciences' graduate seminar series presentation, February 17.
(2009) Presentation: "Health and Security at the University of Cyprus' Work Place", October 22.
(2009) Lecture: "The Social Transformation of the Church of Cyprus: From the Ottoman authority framework to Colonial modernity" (jointly with Michael N. Michael), Open University lecture series, Nicosia, Skali, November 4 (in Greek).
(2009) Lecture: "The Hellenic Diaspora: Past, Present, Future." Open University lecture series, Larnaca, February 4(in Greek).
(2007 & 2009) Seminar presentation: Conducting Library Research and Writing Papers for the Humanities and Social Sciences, the Center for Teaching and Learning [KEDIMA] September 22 & October 24.
(2005) Lecture: "What Is Globalization?" Open University lecture series, Limassol, Cyprus, May 23 (in Greek).
Organizer & coordinator of the following invited Cyprus seminars at the University of Cyprus:
(2007 - 2019) Cyprus Seminar series: A seminar series sponsored by the Department of Social and Political Sciences, through a special amount of the departmental budget in order to bring invited speakers to the University of Cyprus. This seminar series was terminated in 2020 when the Department ceased to offer this funding to individual faculty members.
Organizer & coordinator of the following invited lectures included in the Department of Social and Political Sciences Cyprus' Seminar Series, at the University of Cyprus:
- 2019 Lecture by Dr. Hizky Shoham (Bar-Ilan University, Israel), Nov. 18th.
- 2018 Lecture by Prof. Noel Salazar (University of Leuven, Belgium), October 15th.
- 2016 Lecture by Dr Ali Quadir (University of Tampere, Finland), November 14th.
- 2015 Lecture by Prof. G. Gombo (Universita Degli Studi di Milano), September 8th.
- 2014 Lecture by Dr Evgenia Roussou (CRIA, New University of Portugal), November 6th.
- 2013 Lecture by Maria Hammerli (Université de Neuchâtel, Switzerland), November 19th.
- 2012 Lecture by Prof. Chris Rumford (Royal Holloway University), November 6th.
- 2011 Lecture by Dr Daphne Halikopoulou (London School of Economics), November 18th.
- 2010 Lecture by Dr Paul Kennedy (Director of Global Studies, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK), November 18th.
- 2009 Lecture by Dr Berch Berberoglou (University of Nevada – Reno, USA), October 21th.
- 2008 Lecture by Alexander Agadjanian (Russian University of the Humanities), November 4th.
- 2008 Lecture by Dalia Abdelhady (Southern Methodist University, TX, USA), April 8th (co-sponsored by Turkish and Middle Eastern Studies Department).
- 2007 panel on the Greek edition of The New Balkans, November 26th. Keynote speaker: Aristotelis Tziampiris (University of Pireaus, Greece).